Thursday, November 1, 2007

Mystery Green Oolong


Aren't these seaweed green leaves beautiful? One can only imagine the intoxicating tea that they could produce. Unfortunately, they don't. The only way to get any flavor out of these leaves is to steep them forever, and even then the tea is bland and uninteresting.

I picked this green oolong up from the bulk section at my local Wegmans. They stopped carrying bulk tea and I never labeled it, so I have no idea exactly what the tea is. I knew, of course, that the tea would be more expensive and taste worse than any number of greenish oolongs that I could have shipped from China. But I bought it anyway. I guess I didn't feel like waiting three weeks. I'd like to tell you that I'll never do it again, but we both know it's not true.

Stumble Upon Toolbar

4 comments:

Imen said...

Looks like one of the Anxi varietals. It can be TGY, Mao Xie, Ben Shan, something in that area.

Dave said...

Thanks! How can you tell?

Imen said...

The broken rims of these leaves, the ripeness of the leaves, and the yellow greeness of the leaves are all distinctive characteristics of Anxi varietals. Taiwan fisted oolongs are usually softer and meatier than Anxi, also a darker green color than this yellowish green.

Dave said...

I'm impressed, that's all really cool.