Monday, January 21, 2008

Heirloom Beans




I should say first that beans, like cantaloupe and sweet potatoes, are among those things that I have forced myself to like because they are good for me - and because I read disliking foods as childish and annoying. The job is done for both cantaloupe (it's better with a little salt) and yam (I like them best with Indian flavors), but I still don't get too excited about a mess o' beans. I got a big push, however, in the right direction last week: I ordered a sampler of heirloom beans from ranchogordo.com, which sells about 20 types of dried 'heirloom and heritage' beans.

I'm willing to allow that I may be more inclined to like these pedigreed beans because I'm a fool for food marketing, but they really do seem to be a better bean: The Runner Cannellini was creamier and more deeply flavored than a typical cannellini. I stewed them a bit with a mirepoix, kale, lemon, and veggie broth, then poured that around a piece of seared tuna. Everyone seemed pleased - more later on the rest of the shipment: I'm thinking a ham and bean soup on Thursday night...

Stumble Upon Toolbar

3 comments:

Aaron Kagan said...

I feel that I've tasted many things for the first time as an adult when I've finally had the "real" version of something that I grew up eating "conventional," and disliking. No food is really bad or flavorless unless it hasn't been grown or handled correctly. I've had the same experience that you've had with "real" beans, even more so when they're fresh. Keep a look out next season!

Dave said...

I'm not sure I've ever had real beans.

Did they keep their shape when you cooked them or did they start to break down?

Carol said...

They really kept their shape but were super creamy inside. Check out the site - they have beautiful cranberry beans that weren't available when I bought.