Monday, December 3, 2007

more leftovers



Pictured above is my first effort at a turkey. All in all not as daunting as I thought it would be, though the white meat was a little dry. Perhaps I'll roast it breast-side down next time. Or not, ahem, turn the temperature so high...

Even better though, was the turkey tetrazzini I made with the leftovers. Like Aaron's bread pudding, this dish was made entirely from ingredients that were already in the kitchen. I made a roux with some butter, flour, some turkey broth that I had made from the turkey carcase and a little milk, salt, pepper, rosemary, and thyme. I folded the roux with leftover turkey, egg noodles, some peas for colour, and sprinkled bread crumbs and parmesan on top. The crispy topping was perfect with the creamy middle, and even the white meat tasted moist in its new incarnation! It would have been better with mushrooms, but we didn't have those in the pantry / Dave forgot to pick them up!

I have very fond childhood memories of turkey tetrazzini my dad made with canned mushroom soup the day after Christmas, but this was better.

Stumble Upon Toolbar