Thursday, October 30, 2008

Goat and Sweet Pepper Stew



Besides a touch of imported olive oil and a few exotic spices, this dish couldn't have been more chock full of terroir. The meat came from Codman, the peppers from our winter CSA through Belmont Farm, and the marriage of the two formed a perfect edible expression of New England in the Fall. Unless of course you're vegetarian.

Why goat? It's what they had. At Codman it's often the luck of the draw, since you get whatever has been recently slaughtered. Hence the goat kidney I have in my freezer, which I still have no idea what to do with.

I've been so burnt by mediocre peppers that I'd all but given up on them for anything but texture. But when I bit into one of these, it was like eating vegetable candy. They were so sweet that I felt bad even cooking them, and indeed the ones I did put aside have all been consumed raw and with relish (the feeling, not the condiment).

The only trouble is that I have no idea what kind they are and won't know how to find them again next season. Any help?

-------------------------------

Goat Stew with Sweet Peppers

2 lbs goat stew meat
3 mysterious, magical peppers
3 small onions
1 quartered tomato
1/2 stick cinnamon
1/2 tbsp powdered cumin
1/2 tsp fennel seeds
1 whole dried chile
salt to taste
3/4 cup liquid of your choice (I used half water, half homemade apple-scrap vinegar)

Give the goat meat a serious browning on all sides in a little olive oil, not much as it will soon surrender its own lubricant.

Set aside and do the same with the onions, adding the chopped and deseeded fresh peppers just before the onions brown. Toss to coat, then add everything else, including the meat, and simmer until tender, about an hour and a half.

You could further minimalize this recipe and just do the goat, peppers, liquid and salt, but this combo is a real knockout. Serve over brown rice for a one-dish.

Stumble Upon Toolbar

4 comments:

Karen B said...

that stew looks amazing! I love goat meat, and peppers, even in their watered-down supermarket form... (I know, I'm bad.)

Anonymous said...

That pepper looks like the German (salad?) peppers we grew this year-- so sweet and yummy!

Gretta said...

Jenny and Bruce Wooster at Picadilly Farm grew these fantastically sweet peppers for the winter share. I asked Jenny about the variety. She says it's "Carmen", an Italian bull's horn type pepper. You can get the seed from Fedco, www.fedcoseeds.com or Johnny's, www.Johnnyseeds.com

I love the goat and sweet pepper stew recipe. Too bad I've eaten all my sweet peppers!

Glad you're enjoying the share,
Gretta

Anonymous said...

cheap uggs for sale
michael kors outlet
marc jacobs outlet
christian louboutin shoes
burberry sale
marc jacobs handbags
coach bags
uggs outlet online
mcm handbags
jimmy choo outlet
cheap kevin durant shoes
nike shox
miu miu bag
belstaff jacket
mcm outlet
nike roshe
lebron james shoes
uggs uk
moncler outlet
cheap ugg boots
patagonia outlet
ugg boots for women
ugg sale
coach handbags
nike air max
belstaff outlet
woolrich outlet
giuseppe zanotti sale
cheap uggs
parajumpers outlet