Friday, June 6, 2008

Sort-Of Local Fruit



Speaking of growing your own nosh, my mom just mailed me this home grown pineapple from her garden in Florida. That means it's local. Sort of.

On my travels I often have the pleasure of snatching up local goodies and then whisking them back to my home base, where they instantly become exotic and therefore taste better. In eating food bought locally but eaten globally, I can have my cake and eat it too, quite literally in the case of the nut cake from the Smokehouse Deli in Cleveland.

This pineapple was grown from the top of another pineapple, a neat trick if you live in a warm enough climate. It arrived just as I moved into a new apartment, and what could be better than being welcomed to a new home with the very symbol of hospitality?

Beer. Fortunately, we had a lot of that while we were moving, too. So much that I was surprised how steady my hands were for this long exposure, purely candlelit photo.

Stumble Upon Toolbar