Wednesday, June 25, 2008

Remembering Spring, Pt. 2

Superman had kryptonite, and I have rhubarb--my great weakness. In the presence of rhubarb I lose all sense of modesty and proportion. I just harvest and/or buy it until there isn't any left. Last year I trundled across town in an April snowstorm to follow up rumors of the season's first stalks. One day I will look back on my family's rhubarb patch as a formative experience.

I've cut rhubarb through July, and maybe later, but in the markets it's an early season item--probably because people inevitably associate it with strawberries. Fanatics like myself stock up, and freeze.

Last week I laid in my annual supply of strawberry rhubarb jam and hardly made a dent in the rhubarb. Next up was rhubarb ginger, a genius concept I first tasted in Killarney. Liberal amounts of diced ginger lend a warm spice to the jam without detracting from the rhubarb's killer tartness. I started with a double batch, in case the proportions weren't right, but they were spot on--the jam is neither gelatinous nor mushy. For better or worse, I've run out of jars, so the rest gets frozen. In October, when I find that I've somehow eaten all my jam, I'll thaw it out for a rhubarb crisp. Ladies, gentlemen: to rhubarb.

Stumble Upon Toolbar

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm also a big rhubarb fan - I went to this local foods restaurant in Brooklyn last night and found chunks of savory rhubarb (amongst other vegetables) on top of my goat cheese crepe. It was a tasty surprise.

I recently posted a recipe for an amazing (maybe best ever?!) rhubarb crisp - so if you want to take some of that extra rhubarb out of the freezer a bit early, you could give it a try!

http://jcarrot.org/yiddish-rhubarb-crisp/

All best,
Leah

Anonymous said...

woolrich jackets
coach handbags
canada goose outlet
nike air yeezy
cheap uggs for sale
michael kors outlet
cheap nike basketball shoes
belstaff outlet
dolce gabbana handbags
north face jackets
cheap ugg boots for sale
miu miu outlet
ugg black friday sale
nike kd 6
cheap christian louboutin
ugg sale
balenciaga outlet
air max 2014
kevin durant shoes
ugg boots for kids
pandora uk
nike shoes
kevin durant shoes
pandora charms uk
cheap uggs
tory burch shoes
uggs clearance
north face jackets
true religion jeans
ugg outlet