Thursday, April 30, 2009

Another Feast at China Road



Last week I found myself in Syracuse and of course made time to feast at China Road. Or rather I went to Syracuse in part because I knew it would mean going to China Road.

The menu included cold spicy cucumbers, soup dumplings (the adult version of Gushers), turnip cakes (pictured above, though not quite as good as those at the International Buddhist Society in Cambridge - mmm!), a "sausage" hot pot, sautéed pea greens (perhaps my favorite veg), and the best ma po tofu I've ever had.

It was a sensible menu for two raging omnivores and a vegan, but it really got good when, still hungry, us omni's ordered the spare ribs with rice powder, for dessert, and ate it with our hands.

China Road was my first introduction to real Chinese food, and it is very good, but I'm amazed to now have something even better right in my own backyard: Sichuan Gourmet II in Framingham.

While Grace Garden is still the tops, the S.G.2 is so good that, weeks later, I can't stop thinking about my last meal there: two kinds of equally porky and garlicky dumplings, cold sesame noodles, dan dan noodles, yu xiang eggplant, twice cooked bacon, fresh bamboo with spicy wonder sauce (the "wonder" was Sichuan peppercorn oil), and cumin flavored dry beef with chili sauce.

Still, I love China Road and will eat there anytime I'm in the neighborhood. At the very least it's always better than the only other meal I've had in Syracuse: a horrible, fatty lasagna I once ate while waiting for a locksmith to let me back into my car.

Stumble Upon Toolbar

6 comments:

Seth D. said...

i know for a *fact* you have eaten at least one other meal in Syracuse, featuring vegan mac and cheese, a salad and some sort of nut loaf. unless you are referring strictly to restaurant-provided meals.

Karen B said...

I think Dinosaur bbq in Syracuse is also great--though very very guilt inducing.

Kelly said...

Alto Cinco comes highly recommended if you are looking for exceptional Tex Mex.

CPR recertification said...

i lot it..!

Unknown said...

zd0723
gucci shoes
beats headphones
air jordan shoes
ugg boots uk
oakley sunglasses wholesale
ray ban sunglasses outlet,ray ban sunglasses,ray ban,rayban,ray bans,ray ban outlet,ray-ban,raybans,ray ban wayfarer,ray-ban sunglasses,raybans.com,rayban sunglasses,cheap ray ban
los angeles clippers jerseys
toms shoes outlet online
supra shoes
arizona cardinals jerseys
lebron shoes
oakley sunglasses outlet
north face jackets
beats by dre
nike mercurial
mizuno running shoes
mulberry outlet
ugg uk
nhl jerseys wholesale
kobe bryant jersey
hermes bags

Unknown said...

true religion outlet store
NFL Jerseys Cheap
Oakley Store
Michael Kors Outlet
Cheap Jordans
Oakley Sunglasses
Oakley Glasses
Jordans For Cheap
Cheap Jerseys Online
Michael Kors Handbags
true religion jeans
toms outlet
toms on sale
toms sale
Oakley Outlet Stores
Cheap Jerseys Online
michael kors handbags&purses
Nike NFL Jerseys
Michael Kors Purses
michael kors outlet online
Cheap Jordan Shoes
Cheap Jordans For Sale
toms outlet store
Michael Kors Sale
Michael Kors Outlet
toms outlet store
Michael Kors Bags
Michael Kors Online Outlet
fitflop shoes
Michael Kors Purses