Wednesday, February 23, 2011

What Is This Thing? A Question I Maybe Should Have Asked Before Swallowing.


While in Florida this past weekend, I ate the vegetable pictured above. Or rather I should say that I choked down two bites of it, grimacing, and then guilty threw the rest away. I have no idea what it is or why anyone would want to eat it.

It seemed to be some variety of bitter melon, though the ones I've had before were more smooth and less warty. Also I've only had bitter melon cooked, though the vendor my mom bought this vegetable from said that it could be eaten raw, like a cucumber. Right.

Its similarities to a cucumber ended after being an oblong green thing that technically you could bite into. Unlike a cucumber, I didn't want to chew or swallow this, let alone turn it into a cool, creamy soup or de-crusted sandwich filling. A broccoli rabe and garlic mustard-loving nontaster, I was surprised at my lack of tolerance, but my gag reflex spoke for me.

Maybe I'm not giving it a fair shake, though if you did shake it, the little green warts fell off, which did not make it any more alluring.

Maybe if, like the bitter melon I've eaten, this was cooked with complimentary seasonings and salty bits of animal flesh, it would have been more palatable. As is, it was part vegetable, part emetic.

So what on earth was it? A snozzcumber?

Stumble Upon Toolbar

7 comments:

Carol Ann said...

Tsk! You should have looked at Wikipedia:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bitter_melon

It is a bitter melon of a different phenotype than you are used to, sort of like winter squash has all sorts of phenotypes.

Rob said...

Carol Ann beat me to it by about an hour. Yes, definitely Indian bitter melon. Intense, huh? My South Indian garden neighbors at our community garden plot grow it. It really is beautiful when it ripens and shows its brilliant red seeds. When I lived in an ashram in Santa Monica the winter of 80-81, devotees of the teacher set up a special little greenhouse just to grow it for him--supposed to be very good for your health. Now much more widely available.

Jeremy J. Lee said...

It's called Goya in Japanese. Try a recipe called 'goya champuru' which is the bitter melon cooked with savory pork - quite delicious. The bitterness is supposed to be good for you.

Aaron Kagan said...

Thanks everybody. I look forward to a rematch, possibly with pork on my side.

Anonymous said...

Oh bitter melon is so good stuffed with curried shrimp!

Anonymous said...

Slice it up then sprinkle with salt and let sit for a while to draw out the bitterness but that's the good part to purify your blood.

chenlina said...

chenlina20150907
jordan retro 11
kobe bryant shoes
louis vuitton
imitation watches
michael kors outlet
tory burch outlet online
adidas wings
air force 1 trainers
coach outlet store online
abercrombie and kent,abercrombie fitch,www.abercrombie.com,abercrombie fitch,joe abercrombie,abercrombie uk
abercrombie and fitch
uggs on sale
hollister
nike uk
coach outlet online
hollister jeans
coach outlet store online
jordan 3 retro
michael kors
coach outlet
coach outlet
adidas originals
longchamp le pliage
toms outlet store
discount oakley sunglasses
louis vuitton outlet
louis vuitton handbags
jordan concords
louis vuitton outlet
pandora charms
michael kors outlet
ralph lauren outlet
louboutins
coach outlet
michael kors outlet
cheap jerseys wholesale
air max 95
longchamp outlet
toms wedges
tory burch flats